Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Red Cannas

My friend Janelle shared some red canna rhizomes/bulbs with me this past spring. (She'd gotten a bunch from an aunt and let me have some!!) ...I planted them...they were just small chunks about the size of my fist or so...they grew into beautiful plants over the summer...(the only thing I could grow)...I'll have to take pictures of them next year...

So, we had to dig them up before the first deep frost, and Janelle had warned me that her rhizomes/bulbs had more than doubled...so I went out, with my hand trowel...and began to dig mine up...I thought I could do it quick...but after about 15 minutes...I went and got the shovel and managed to dig one up...it had more than quadrupled in size!!

They funniest part is when I finally managed to dig a group out, Mikenna would come over and exclaim, "Wow!! Look at all of those eggies coming from the ground!! There's more too!!" I now have a huge, black garbage sack of these rhizomes /bulbs sitting in my garage, waiting until spring!!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Hmmmm, I never got mine out of the ground....oops! Maybe you'll have enough to lend me 3 or 4 next spring?