To celebrate, Michael made arrangements for us to have a weekend away in Portland without kids!! Stacy graciously offered to take our 4 girls for the few days we would be gone. (Between her and Allison, my girls had a blast...I don't think they missed us much...)
So, off we went!! Once we got to Portland...had dinner, movie-Iron Man, did some shopping...Saturday we visited a Chinese Garden...beautiful & peaceful...65 craftsmen were brought over from China to create it...they even brought over the majority of the stone used throughout the garden. I loved all of the details and then learning about the meaning or reasoning behind each one..."balance" was created all over with plants, placement of buildings & pathways for "all the senses"...I would LOVE something like this in my own backyard!!
Certain pathways or courtyards were paved with different mosaics of stone & pebbles...there were these drip tiles from every building, which I learned are designed specifically to direct rainfall to "drip" or fall like a beaded curtain or "cascade of pearls" and then, they usually plant large leafed plants under these so when the drips hit, it would "produce a fragrant melody."


Many of the carvings took almost a year to carve, so exquisite and intricate...o, this blue jay took a rest on Michael's head as we were walking through, he was quite a surprise...


After the gardens, we wandered around the downtown Saturday Market...had some yummy Indian food, bought a few trinkets, saw beautiful handmade items & crafts...then off to some outlet malls!! Michael was a trooper to shop with me. We also stopped at Portland's Rose Garden, which is situated on the side of a hill/mountain...it was amazing how they'd created an entire park...with a zoo, Japanese garden, tennis courts, etc. etc....and then in the Rose Garden, they were blooming EVERYWHERE!!
Then being that it's on the side of the hill, we had some great views of the city!!
On the way home Sunday, we stopped off at Multnomah Falls for lunch and a few pictures.
Happy Anniversary Michael!!




5 comments:
Looks like you two had a great time! I can't believe it's been 10 years!! :)
Happy Anniversary to you both! I'm so glad you were able to get away for a few days. I love those garden pics. Maybe we can get in to it on our way home from the coast next weekend.
Happy 10th Anniversary. Looks like you 2 have a great time.
Wow, what an amazing Chinese Garden! Glad you guys took the time to get away and celebrate!
I'd do it again in a heart beat! Your girls were so good and helpful! I'm so glad you got some time away...admit it...it was nice:)
Post a Comment